Friday, March 09, 2018

in the "fear of failure" department...

Today's question, a very good post we could all take to heart, and an answer to a question that keeps me up nights...

I can't help but notice a lot of folks have a real phobia about making mistakes. If you read as much boat stuff as I do you'll see a real trend in folks engaged in project stasis because they feel they have to have the perfect boat, perfect design, perfect tools, perfect product, perfect anchor, perfect chart plotter...

The list is frelling endless.

Everyone these days seems to feel they have to get it right first time every time and the idea of making a mistake is simply not an acceptable option.

We all make mistakes. For instance, I have lockers worth of stuff for projects that seemed like a good idea at the time. By the time I get around to actually doing the projects, I find there's a better or, at least, different way that makes more sense. Every one of those a mistake of one sort or another.

I'll go out on a limb here and say right here and now that "So It Goes", at best, is just a collection of mistakes that sails in formation.

In the process of designing or doing projects, I've erred on one or several levels and finished up with projects, that while acceptably workable, I find irritating. With hindsight, I realize I could have done a better job in one way or another...

My current mast is a good example. It works. It did not fall down and go boom during Hurricane Maria and to most would be considered a success. In point of fact, I realize I could have built it lighter without impacting its strength and I have a whole slew of hindsight improvements that will make the next mast I build all kinds of better. Then again, Reuel Parker some time ago had a very interesting article involving a different way to make masts that are light, easier to build, and more affordable which means the next mast I build will be yet a whole new learning experience. I'm looking forward to it because, for me at least, the best part of building stuff is all about riding the learning curve and pushing the envelope just that little bit more.

I expect my next mast will be far from perfect, mistakes will be made, and that's OK with me.

Listening to an NME playlist

So it goes...